REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
If you are an eligible veteran applying for the first time membership, you must submit the following information to the Post Membership Committee:
- A completed American Legion Membership application by clicking “ Print Application” . Print two (2) copiesof the application and keep one copy for your records. Mail the other copy to address on the application, together with your dues payment. (Dues amount on application) and copy of your DD-214 or Discharge . Applications are also available at the Post. DO NOT SEND CASH.
- If the information is correct on your application, your membership will be approved and your membership card will be mailed to you.
- Please see eligibility dates below.
If you are a Veteran applying for a transfer from your current Post to our Post, please must submit the following:
- Completed Member Data Form.
- Copy of your DD214 or Discharge
- Copy of your Membership Card
- Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year’s membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces between:
- April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918 (World War I)
- December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946 (World War II)
- June 25, 1950 – January 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- August 24, 1982 – July 31,1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
- December 20, 1989 – January 31, 1990 (Panama)
- August 2, 1990 – Today (Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm)
You must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates above and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
For any questions please contact our Post Commander Harold Englert.